Thursday 27 October 2016

Pea Soup

picture from google
Hello, how are you today?  Gosh, the fog was thick this morning wasnt it.  

I've moved everything from one end of the house, to the other upstairs bedroom to continue painting.  One last room to go and a second coat of paint on the hall.  It doesnt seem to have covered how I wanted it to.

Still reading North and South, I havent made much of a dent in it yet.  I think I am on page 60.  It is just picking up.  woo hoo

I am also researching a horse trailer or animal trailer.  Are you able to help me with this?  Do you have any advice?  When the farm was sold, it was sold lock, stock and barrel.  I have never had to buy a trailer.  What is the trailer for you ask?  Well I have lots of plants, trees and food storage that I would like to move seperately from the house contents.  What are your thoughts please?  I need some help.  

Moving on - some of the plants I will want to move



The grape vine is looking a bit bare now.  But still has some orange and red leaves on it.  It produces large black grapes, without seeds.



One of my blueberrie is changing colour also now.



Volunteer mint, growing like crazy.



The tops of 2 of my olive trees.



The acer in the front garden is a burgundy colour now.



The acer in the back garden is a frothy pink colour.  They are the same type of tree, I cant remember the name of it.  Strange that one is dark and one is light?



The front garden looks like this all over the grass.



Can you believe it!  Olives on one of my smallest plants.



They are tiny, but are changing colour.  Its only about the size of my little finger nail.

Oca, growing away happily.



And my smallest of all olive trees, which also produced fruit, all very tiny, some are like little dots!  Lol.  They grew though!  That is all that matters to me.  Who knows, when we move we may plant them in the ground!  Then for sure we would have to stay!  I cant leave my beloved olive trees behind.

What do you know about trailers?

P.S. I also hope to be like this lady when I am 82!

9 comments:

northsider said...

Hi Sol, You can hire box trailers or even ask a farmer to move your plants for you. Couriers will move them too. I wouldn't invest in a trailer unless you are going to use it all the time.

North and South is hard work for me to read. Will persevere though. I am about 60 pages through it.

Sol said...

Hi Dave, Hmmmm The items may have to stay in the box for some time. I will look and see if it is possible to hire for more than a week. I was thinking buy it and then sell it on? Do you think that would be hard to do in Cornwall? We are pretty set on moving there now.

northsider said...

You have got to be careful buying trailers Sol. Especially second hand one's which can be half rotten, full of rust or covered up with a new coat of paint. I think a good Ifor Williams galvanized box trailer for calves or sheep would probably do you fine. I am sure you would be able to sell it to smallholders/car booters in Cornwall. Good luck!

Raybeard said...

Colourful Autumn, as you illustrate.

Should be starting the Gaskell this w/e. Aiming to do minimum of 30 pages per day, which ought to be easy enough to keep up. First must check out when last read it. I keep a list of all books read - currently 1,729 excl re-reads (incl re-reads it's 2,026).

Btw: That top picture reminds me of a 'Jack the Ripper' sketch in 'I'm Sorry I'll Read that Again' (radio, back in the late 60's-70s):-

Time Brooke-Taylor as Detective-superintendent: "Just look at that fog. It's a real......a real...."
Graham Garden as his assistant: "Peasouper?"
T.B-T. "No thanks. I've just had one."

(It comes over better when you hear it rather than seeing it written down).

Sol said...

THanks Dave, I will keep that in mind. Good advise. I dont really know what I am looking for, but I thought I should start looking now and then if a good one comes along I would know...

Hey Ray, I am puttering along reading it in between cleaning and painting today.

Yes that picture is very Jack the Ripper isnt it. I didnt think of that. I will pretend it is a halloween thing!

Hope you are well.

Sadie said...

I love foggy mornings. Something spooky but also rather beautiful about fog.

Our acer has finally started to turn. Last week there was just a little froth of colour, seems every day I look and the froth is becoming an all over rash. So pretty. :O)

Janie Junebug said...

I don't know anything about trailers. My son would probably tell you to rent one or hire one for the job. When he had his tools (huge, heavy box) moved to my house, he hired someone with a flatbed truck to do the job, but he said it could be done with a trailer.

Love,
Janie

local alien said...

You love your plants and take great photos of them. I hope they are all safely transplanted to wherever you go. My favourite is mint. It grows like mad, needs lots of water and nothing else, smells terrific and is so green. One day when you get enough olives I'll send you a pickling recipe lol

Sol said...

Oh Sadie, it is pretty isnt it!

Hi Janie, I am thinking we will see if we can rent one, although, if we cant move everything to its last location quick enough, I am afraid that the rental cost will be more than the cost of buying and then selling on, maybe for the same price. making it a free use?

Hi Linda, we have to do the kitchen and finish the hall and the porch floors. I am hoping to find a house that is easy to manage size wise and a large garden. My friend has the perfect propery. But it took them 4 years to find it! If I ever get enough olive to pickle I will be looking forward to your recipe! Can you believe they are changing colour! I cant!!!!