Tuesday 2 September 2014

Future

flying bike
 
After a few weeks off, a few aches and pains from sailing, I have had plenty of time to think, (no TV and little to no internet access will do that to you.).
 
We have offered on a house out of sheer desperation, it will do for now.  But it is not the 'Forever House'. 
 
What is my post about today?  Well I have been thinking about WORK.  And with this in mind I have become slightly altruistic.  As I have to work for at least the next 30 years *le sigh*. 
 
I have already been retraining and hope that on the completion of my course next summer I will be firing on all pistons.  I have already dipped my toe into the jobs market and am at the moment, like with our house search, I am being super picky.  I would really like to work for a company that is in renewable energy or a research company.  It has to be something I am interested in and feel it is making a difference.  I will now get a job as a Sewer Person, you watch!  LMAO
 
With all of this in mind I have been thinking about how do I future proof my job.  Where I currently am, the job finishes really soon.  Most clerical jobs are becoming automated, this means companies will no longer need any one to type or to check things or even press ENTER to make something happen.  I need something that will grow in the next few years and become a new path.  I need to Future Proof myself.
 
I have been reading some interesting blogs and tech lately...  here are a few
 
Forbes - 10 ways to future proof your career
 
Although I am not over 50, this is also of interest.  Horticulture opportunities?  Who knew.  
{Here is the link}
 
Be Adaptable
 
From the Guardian {HERE}
 
Hottest skills from 2013
 
Soft and Hard skills will help you adapt

LifeHack

Career Test

I will leave you with what popped up on my screen whilst reading Life Hack.
 
'It's never too late to start over. If you weren't happy with yesterday, try something different today.
Don't stay stuck.
Do better.'

Are you future proofing yourself and your home?

 

7 comments:

Harry Flashman said...

I'm glad to see you back. I knew you were having trouble with the house hunt because you weren't on the net.

I hope you can find a job you like. I worked as an accountant for 20 years, for a company I detested, but the pay was good and I had a wife and kids. I regret the lost years but the money helped us do things we couldn't have done otherwise.

Congratulations on having a Prime Minister who is willing to do something to protect your country. I saw part of his speech on letting terrorists back into the country.

Meanwhile, the lame brain we elected says "we have no strategy" for dealing with ISIS.

Good to read your posts again.

Anonymous said...

I like those career tests. I'll come back for that.

My son took one a while back. I think he was supposed to be a tree trimmer or something. Except that he hates bugs. Could be a problem.

Good to see you!

Sol said...

Hi Harry. I don't have a family so I really want a job where I feel I am making a difference. I know that sounds airy fairy. But money isn't always the most important thing. I have done jobs that pay peanuts, but the people I worked with really made it and we all loved it!

The PM is a little wishy washy for me. He is reactive not proactive. Now Boris Johnson, I really like him. Lots of people hate him. But for me he seems to really give a sh!t about stuff. and thinks long term.

Susie, if I had kids I would train them and coach them from a young age to have 2 streams of income. One in something like robotics or scientific climate change or something chemical based like pharmaceuticals (people are always sick). then the other stream should be something that is a hobby. say carpentry or something else that is a real craft artisan level.

I am afraid if I had kids I would drive them mental pushing them all the time. *sigh*

John Going Gently said...

I can't wait to retire
And will do so in three years
And before you say it..I know I am a lucky sod

Sol said...

Hey John. I am not ready to retire I have a lot more in me yet. Plus I also need to add to my pension pot. There wont be any money from the state when I retire.

Have you any big plans when you retire?

nick said...

I've always done jobs I enjoy, usually not well paid, rather than do well-paid jobs I would hate. I'm currently working for a voluntary organisation and intend to keep working as long as I'm fit and healthy as I enjoy working.

I have precious little to offer except an excellent grasp of English and good computer and admin skills, but I've managed to land a wide variety of jobs so far.

I think your future proofing idea that combines a long-term income stream with a rewarding hobby is a good one.

As for our home, it's in good order and mortgage free.

Sol said...

Hi Nick, thanks for your comment.

Although money is needed, just so you can live. I cant and wont let this guide me into my next job. I need to feel like I enjoy it. Thank less jobs where you see that you aren't helping or changing anything are not good for your mental well being.