Tuesday, 19 July 2016

E.T. "Home"



For as long as I can remember, on long car journeys to see my Grandparents, past the stinky cellophane factory near Glastonbury Bridgewater.  It used to make me car sick from the smell, as we hurtled up the M5, towards Bath.  

"We are going back home", she would announce, proceeding the journey.  Then there would be a flury of car prep, oil, tyre pressure, water.  All the presents and plants that had been grown from seed would be thrown carefully placed into the Vauxhall Viva.  With its lovely grey vinyl seats, no seat belts so you slid from one side to the other on roundabouts.  

A couple of spoonfuls of {Phenerganwould be given to me and my Gran that lived with us at that time.  It used to knock me out, most of the way from Devon and as if on cue, I would wake up for the STINK FACTORY.

But I digress.

This Eden of Home, came about as everyone in my Family, calls Bath and the surrounding area "Home".  It is little wonder then that my little girl ambition, other than to be a house hold name as an Architect, (my Father's influence that never came to be), was to own a house in that buttery coloured stone, with Georgian windows, railings and with attic rooms like the eyes of a frog on the top of the house.

My house may not be made of Bath stone, but the more cheaper 60's material of Bradstone.  It is the same colour but is not quite right.  Nonetheless I am super pleased to have half way made part of that dream real.  A Cotswold stone coloured home.  And now one of the other things that I aspired to.  A home with frog eyes.  The dormer windows are starting to look real from the inside and out.  As I type this, we have tiles going onto the roof! (Will wonders never cease?).

You watch all of the make over programmes, the extensions, the loft conversions...  and you feel bad for the owners of the house, when they say things like "The rooms are so much smaller than I thought".  We went with that thought, that the rooms would be not as large.  I have therefore been quite pleased with the sizes.  

We now have stud walls internally and every so often a head will pop around the lounge door, "can you come and tell me where you want the toilet and basin".  or "Which way do you want the door opening?".  

At present I still cant imagine all of the spaces, the plaster board is going up, over the insulation.  And then for the plastering.  It is like a pop up book I tell you.  By lunch time everyday the rooms are different.  A little more real, a little more solid.

Still no one can tell me if a loft becomes an attic once you can sleep in it, or if the word loft and attic are the same thing...

Whats your dream?



11 comments:

Tom Stephenson said...

That stink factory was Bridgewater. It has now stopeed stinking, but all the people who lived there never noticed it. I think a dark oak, 17th or 16th century house - but I am in the middle of Bath, in an 18th century townhouse.

Sol said...

your right Tom it is Bridgewater. I will go back and change it. Wow dark oak? A Tudor style small manor house? I can imagine you in one. Or should I say your personality in one.

rusty duck said...

What's my dream?
To be in the reconstruction phase as well!! Sitting on the computer looking for lighting and cushions is keeping me sane.

Sol said...

Hey Jessica its hard work watching it all being knocked down. All the dust and bits all over. We still have the hall ceiling to be ripped down and new stairs. lol the fun never ends. Tell me again why we moved from a finished house to this one? I forget... Hopefully your walls will be finished soon and you can get on to the pretty

galant said...

My dream would be a Georgian house with lovely square rooms, high ceilings not "tall" as they are often referred to in TV progs; people are tall, ceilings are high, and conversely rooms can be narrow, not thin, as they also say, silly blighters!) I would have Georgian (of coure!)small paned sash windows, and a lovely fanlight above the front door. I would fill it with Oriental carpets, fine mahogany furniture, and blue and white porcelain cermaics, and bowls which I would fill with delphiniums and peonies, and there would be bowls of pop pourri, and fine white cotton sheets, and a bathroom for every bedroom, a kitchen with a walk in larder, wonderful fireplaces with overmantel mirrors (no wood burners for me, and I would not want an 'island' to have to walk around in the kitchen, either). Ah, one can dream ...
Oh, the Bridgewater Stink! "I remember it well" to the tune of the song sung by Maurice Chevallier in the film Gigi!
Margaret P

Harry Flashman said...

It sounds to me like you are making a lot of progress. Do you ever read Kirsty's blog? She is English too, and they are renovating a stone house built in 1854. Her experiences seem very similar to yours.

When it is all done, how happy you'll be. Your place will be so beautiful and so comfortable.

It must be hard now, I'd be very unsettled with all that activity, but the end will justify it all.

Then again, you could have bought that house in the Cotswalds, I don't know how much in dollars that amount in pounds was but it sounded pretty steep! ;-)

Sol said...

Hi Margaret, that is one big shopping list you have there! LOL when we moved here, our list was detached double garage, own parking, garden front and back. Anything else was a bonus. We live in the Cotswolds, but our previous house was rendered 1930's, also in the cotswolds but we are further East now.

Hey Harry, I visit Kirsty's blog. They are going great guns with it all over there. And were very clever to have a cabin to hide in. I have believe it or not, dried my hair on the drive way with an extension cord from the neighbour, kindly drapped over the fence after all of the rain. I cant say we wont move again after this. I dont feel like this is our final destination. The house in Cornwall is £1.6 million xe.com tells me this is $2,096,081.02. Dont forget the 2cents. lol. It is the perfect homestead. I have since seen another house which is more in our price range, on the moors in Devon.

galant said...

Sol ... we have only ever had two homes in almost 52 years of marriage. 21 years in our semi-det 3-bed bungalow in a nearby village, and our 4-bed det where we live now. Well, I say 4-bed but we turned one into a study and since our sons left home their bedrooms have been changed, too. One is a bed sitting room and the other was a work room until last year when we transformed it back into a single bedroom for either our own use when one of us had a restless night, and then we had a friend from Canada to stay the very week it was finished! We have a large garage (not a double, but very large) and gardens front and back, and a lovely walnut tree and a summerhouse. While we are in much-maligned 'suburbia' we love it here and don't mind at all being overlooked by other houses, as there are only 18 of them in our Close anyway. It's a typical 1985 house, part brick, part render, dormer window at the front, Velux at the back, south facing and we love it. The Georgian house is simply a dream ...
Was that a photo of your home or just your dream property?
Margaret P

Sol said...

Hey Margaret, the picture is kind of the type of house I would like, in this area. only 2 houses? Wow. This is number 14 for us. We are at that age where we arent old enough to have caught the wave where house prices were going up everyday. We started just before the height of the market. A mixture of work moves and buying to do up and sell. And here we are. I have already seen our next house, it doesnt look anything like that picture on this post! lol Nothing like it at all.

Harry Flashman said...

Good God. If you buy that house I want to come live with you! If I had two million I'd buy a house boat, a camper rig, and I'd live in those!

Sol said...

Ha Ha Harry, I dont have that much money. I was looking at small holdings and farms and it came up... that is when I thought, wow, Harry would like that set up. Dont worry, we probably wouldnt even get to view it with out showing the estate agents bank statements and I imagine the estate agent would be called Tarquin, or Miles or something. Put it this way Harry, your land and house in the UK would be well over £1 million just for the land alone. Your looking at 7k an acre of mature woodland and 10k for arable land.